Show Your ANZAC Spirit
When times are tough, Australians have always relied on the distinctive qualities of mateship, humour, ingenuity, courage and endurance to get us through. Known as the ANZAC Spirit, these five qualities have defined Australians ever since the first troops landed on the beaches of Gallipoli in World War I.
In the current climate, we’re reminding Australians that we all bear these qualities within us, ready to come to the fore when we need them.
How You Can Commemorate ANZAC Day 2020
There’s no doubt that ANZAC Day 2020 will be very different to ANZAC Days of previous years. While we will not be gathering at services or marches, there are still ways to acknowledge ANZAC Day and ensure Australian servicemen and women are appropriately remembered.
1. Record yourself reciting the ode or sharing a message of support for veterans. Respond “Going” to our ANZAC Day 2020 Facebook event. Then use the hashtag #ANZACSpirit and share how you’ll be commemorating privately, as well as who you’ll be remembering this ANZAC Day.
2. Light up the dawn. At 6am on ANZAC Day, go to the end of your driveway or stand on your balcony and listen to a brief commemorative service. Together – even while apart – we’ll remember those who served and sacrificed. You can sign the pledge to light up the dawn at rslanzacspirit.com.au
3. Tune into live commemorative services. The ABC will be broadcasting a 5.30am service from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. There will also be a 10am closed service from Sydney that will be broadcast on ABC (download the Order of Service). Both services will also be streamed live on the RSL NSW Facebook page.
4. Reach out to a mate who might be alone. Many people are alone during this time of isolation. It’s an opportunity to invoke the ANZAC value of mateship and check to see how a mate is doing.
5. Donate to the ANZAC Appeal online at anzacappeal.com.au. Donations support Australian veterans and their families in need. Donations in New South Wales support services provided by RSL DefenceCare and Veteran Sport Australia.
Show your support by using this ANZAC Spirit Facebook profile picture frame.