Circular 5/21-15 February 2021
RSL NSW is collaborating with RSL LifeCare to deliver the RSL Employment Program. The national program that is funded by the Australian Government has been customised by the RSL to support veterans and Defence partners in their search for meaningful employment.
The highly trained RSL LifeCare Employment Team will work closely with veterans and their families to determine how they can best support their search for employment. This may include:
- Help to translate skills for the civilian job market
- Help to interpret selection criteria, writing CVs and application letters and social media profiles
- Interview coaching
- Career counselling
- Connections to employers.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be an ex-ADF member not in regular employment or a current ADF member with a confirmed discharge date; or
- or the partner of a current or ex-serving ADF member.
Make sure applicants are ready
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) and Defence Community Organisation (DCO) offer programs for transitioning service members and their partners.
The following programs allow the RSL LifeCare Employment Team to focus their efforts on adding extra value by providing career counselling and polishing job-seeking skills services:
- Ex-Defence personnel can access the Defence Force Transition Program (DFTP) within 12 months of separation. RSL LifeCare asks that you are not in the DVA Work Rehab Program when you contact them.
- Defence partners can access the Defence Community Organisation’s Partner Employment Assistance Program (PEAP).
Veterans helping veterans
Veterans have a wealth of skills and experience that can benefit civilian businesses, from technical and trades to corporate and leadership. You may be or know a business owner that could consider employing a former serviceman or woman.
The Veterans Onboard program can provide businesses with the tools to understand what skills and qualities veterans can bring to your organisation, and help you attract and retain veteran talent.
For more information about the RSL Employment Program please visit the RSL NSW or RSL LifeCare website or contact 02 8088 0388.