Bushfire Assistance Update – 15 January 2020
Following the recent message from RSL NSW CEO Jon Black regarding bushfire assistance, RSL NSW would like to provide an update on the assistance provided so far. We will continue to provide updates as the situation evolves and as we provide further assistance to those affected by this crisis.
We are providing financial assistance through RSL DefenceCare’s Disaster Assistance Fund and support is being coordinated on a local level by RSL sub-Branches in affected areas.
As of 15 January, the financial assistance we have provided to bushfire affected areas includes:
- $22,200 to three RSL sub-Branches to distribute locally, and
- $54,000 directly to 17 individual veterans in affected areas.
So far, a total of $76,200 has been provided for bushfire assistance. This is in addition to the disaster assistance provided to drought affected areas throughout 2019.
Click here to see a detailed view of the assistance provided so far. This document will be updated frequently.
The bushfire assistance has been provided to veterans in the following areas:
- Armidale region
- Bega region
- Blayney region
- Central Tablelands
- Eurobodalla region
- Greater Taree region
- Inverell Shire region
- Nambucca Shire region
- Western Plains
We received touching feedback from veterans who have been impacted by the bushfires.
“You guys are the only ones who actually do get support to farmers. So thanks again, you should be proud of RSL DefenceCare’s work.” – A veteran in the Western Plains region.
This assistance is possible thanks to generous contributions to the Disaster Assistance Fund.
So far over $335,000 has been contributed to the disaster assistance fund by RSL sub-Branches.
Thank you again to the District Councils and sub-Branches that we acknowledged in the thank you message published in December. In addition to those that contributed in December, we are grateful for the support of the following sub-Branches.
- Brighton-le-Sands RSL sub-Branch – $5,000
- City of Bankstown RSL sub-Branch – $50,000
- Dapto/Port Kembla RSL sub-Branch – $2,500
- Forestville RSL sub-Branch – $10,000
- Hornsby RSL sub-Branch – $3,000
- Narooma RSL sub-Branch – $5,000
- Wagga Wagga RSL sub-Branch – $5,000
- Wangi Wangi RSL sub-Branch – $500
- Wingham RSL sub-Branch – $1,000
We are also grateful to the organisations and individuals who have generously donated to RSL DefenceCare in support of disaster assistance.
How to Seek Help or Contribute
Read the recent message about bushfire assistance to find detail on:
- how sub-Branches seeking support for veterans can assist, and
- how unaffected sub-Branches can make contributions to the Disaster Assistance Fund.
Photo credit: Department of Defence